Grey Diamonds Background

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Thank You, 80s

The 80s gets a lot of flack for being an era of drugs, sex, and God-awful style..and to some extent, we can all agree that fashion and hair was...ehh... Adventurous.

Source: http://whereismyfreakinmind.wordpress.com/2008/07/27/making-a-comeback-but-why/

One style we probably never thought we'd revisit is the side ponytail. Because why would any sane person do THIS again?

Source: http://thevintagelink.blogspot.com/2010_08_01_archive.html?m=1
However, the side pony DID make its return, and I for one, am grateful. Today's side pony is smooth, natural, and a helluvalot easier than full-out fixing your hair. This is my go-to style when I have 1 more day until it's time to wash my hair (yes, -GASP!- I only wash my hair about 2-3 times a week. I have super thick mega-hair, and since it's long, the ends tend to dry out.) The side ponytail is a way to have a little something pretty going on up front and keep your hair off your neck, with as minimal effort as possible. I tend to wear my hair wavy (by using a 1 1/2 inch curling iron to make spiral waves), and can usually milk the style for another couple days...when it's getting a little oily up top, I just use a few puffs of dry shampoo on the roots, brush it out, and put it into a side ponytail. Then I run the curling iron through the longer pieces if needed, hairspray it, and I'm done. Thank you, 80s, for the one hairstyle that stands the test of time, albeit a little modified.

I won't even charge ya for the crap cell phone pic.

Little sidebar... I just need to give some quick daps to the inventor of dry shampoo. A year ago, I was a major shampoo ho, washing my hair about 5 times per week. What a waste of time! I would use baby powder as a way to soak up excess oil, but it never really settles into your hair, so you're left with what looks like a powdered wig version of your hair. Not to mention, you smell like a diaper bag. No offense, babies. I'm just not into that for my own head-smells. I really like Not Your Mother's Clean Freak, and the classic Psssssst Dry Shampoo (which, from the looks of the bottle design, has been around since the 90s, and probably had a commercial featuring some sort of Dallas/Dynasty-looking lady, saying "Pssssst...it's my little secret!!"). Now I only have to worry about the added step of blow-drying my hair about twice a week. That saves me TONS of time, and if you ask my hubs, any slashing of time from my getting-ready routine is a rare and welcome nugget. Plus, my hair is better moisturized without all that shampooing and blow-drying.
If you're worried about your side pony being a flashback from the 80s, check out these pics for inspiration.




 
 
 
 
Sources for inspiration photos:
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment